Happy First Day of Classes from all of us here at 13th Floor Magazine! The summer break flew by, but we hope it was filled with relaxation, great memories, and some much-needed free time to get some reading and writing in. The staff of 13th Floor has been quite busy over the summer; we’ve been editing the last round of submissions, planning our deadlines for this upcoming school year, and assimilating our new, top-notch staff members to the team. A couple of our members graduated this past May, requiring us to find new editors to fill their shoes. We’d like to welcome James Johnson and Jordan Dinwiddie, who will be acting as our Lead Editor and our Lead Promotions Editor, respectively. If you’d like to learn more about them, please visit our Meet the Staff page.
In addition to our new editors, we are excited to announce the release of our new Issue for Fall 2014! As always, we are running our free promotional download for the first week of the semester. If you visit Amazon.com from Tuesday, August 26th until Friday, August 29th, you can download our online Issue absolutely free. After the 29th, it will be $4.99, so get it while you can. This Issue’s cover art was, once again, the work of our talented resident photographer. Some of you may know her as Chelsey Risney, but she is now Chelsey Richardson after getting married earlier this month. Congratulations to Chelsey and her new husband, Nick!
All of our Issues feature creative, original works from students at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. We accept all kinds of writing, like fiction, poetry, non-fiction, personal essay, etc., and we are also always looking to feature works of art and photography. So if you’re not the best with words but can express creativity in other ways, please don’t hesitate to send your work our way. We are taking rolling submissions, so you can submit to us whenever your work is ready. If we love what you’ve sent, we’ll feature it in the next issue. If you have never submitted to 13th Floor Magazine before, you’ll find the submission guidelines below.
Since this is the first week of school, UNO will be having its Student Involvement Fair on Wednesday, August 27th, from 11:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m. in the Pep Bowl, located near the Arts and Sciences Hall on Dodge Campus. We will have representatives from 13th Floor Magazine to explain what we’re all about and answer any questions you might have about submissions or joining our team. Make sure to come see us. We are beyond excited to see what this year has in store for us and wish everyone the best of luck with the start of their Fall semester.
- All files should be in .doc, .docx, or .rtx formats
- Do not put your name in the document. Do not put your name in the filename. Please use only the title of your work in the filename. This is very important to us as we want to maintain a fair and unbiased selection process for each of our submissions.
- In the body of your e-mail, please include a brief biography. You can write whatever you’d like, but feel free visit our Meet the Staff page if you need some ideas. If your submission is chosen for publication, your biography will be included in the magazine as well. Remember, the biography needs to be in the body of your e-mail, NOT your submitted work.
- All prose and poetry should be double spaced and in standard fonts Times New Roman or Arial.
- Be sure to thoroughly edit your work for spelling and grammar errors so you can represent your best work possible. If you need editing assistance, don’t hesitate to use campus services like the Writing Center.
- If you would like more tips on professionally formatting your document, please read Formatting 101 by Marlys Pearson.
Once you have professionally prepared your submission, e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org Remember, include your biography in your e-mail!
If You Are an Educator
Please encourage your students to submit their best work. It’s a great way to get experience submitting professionally, and may result in publishing credits! Your help is crucial to making our campus magazine a success!